In 2023, the European Commission will launch a new legislative proposal for an EU framework for forest monitoring and strategic plans. The aim is to develop an EU-wide forest observation framework to provide open access to detailed, accurate, regular and timely information on the condition and management of EU forests, as well to provide a coherent system for EU Member States to plan for transformations in forests and the forest-based sector.
In addition to improving forest monitoring, this information will lead to more data-driven decision-making on forests within EU and assist EU Member States to develop strategic plans. These plans would lay out the strategic vision of Member States for their forests and the forest-based sector for the next 10, 30 and 50 years.
The event will look at the forest monitoring needs of the EU and zoom in on the purpose and possible contents of strategic plans.
Several important questions can be raised, such as:
- Why is forest monitoring important to policymaking, forest operations and nature conservation?
- Can we effectively monitor the status of EU forests from space?
- What are the purpose and idea behind strategic plans and how do they relate to national forest programmes?
- What could be possible elements for strategic plans by Member States?
Mia Crawford, Forest Director EU and International Affairs, Federation of Swedish Family Forest Owners
Anna Holmberg, Director and Head of the Brussels office, Swedish Forest Industries
- Opening Address from today’s host
Pär Holmgren, Member of European Parliament (Greens). Member of the ENVI Committee. Substitute of the TRAN and AGRI Committees.
- Short interventions by the speakers
Ion Codescu, Head of Unit Land Use and Management, EU Commission DG Environment
Kelsey Perlman, Forest and Climate Campaigner, Fern
Marie Wickberg, Director of Sustainability, Mellanskog
- Discussion with the host and speakers
Moderated by Mia Crawford and Anna Holmberg.
- Closing remarks from today’s host
Read more and register here (THIS EVENT IS POSTPONED)