- World's 3rd largest exporter of pulp, paper and sawn timber
- Export value, 2018: SEK 145 billion
- 80% of the products are exported
- A little over SEK 15,4 billion was invested in 2018
Production volumes, 2018
- 11.9 million tonnes of pulp (of which 4.3 million tonnes market pulp)
- 10.1 million tonnes of paper
- 18.3 million cubic metres of sawn timber
- 70,000 employees in forestry
- A further 50,000 one-man businesses active in forestry
- 70% of Sweden is forest land.
- 80% of the forest land is in active use.
- 1% of the forest resource is felled annually.
- Every year, at least 380 million trees are planted in Sweden
- Over the past 100 years, Sweden's forest resource has doubled.
- 96% of the heating energy used by the forest industry is bioenergy.
- Electricity consumption: 20 TWh per year – just over 15% of Sweden's total electricity consumption.
- Of the country's total greenhouse gas emissions, the forest industry accounts for around 1%.
- Since the start of the 1980s, pulp and paper mills have reduced the organic materials they release into the water system by 90%. At the same time, pulp production has risen by 30%.
- Since the start of the 1980s, pulp and paper mills have reduced the sulphur compounds they release into the air by 98%. At the same time, pulp production has risen by 30%.
- Sweden's largest purchaser of transport services – SEK 25 billion annually
- Every year, Sweden invests SEK 2 billion in forest research at universities, colleges and institutes.
- Forest industry companies annually invest SEK 2.3 billion in their own research.
Members of the Swedish Forest Industries Federation
- 50 pulp and paper mills
- 120 sawmills
- 40 companies closely connected to the production of pulp, paper or timber goods